Thursday, January 7, 2016

Dec 27, 2015

Dec 27, 2015 10:30AM-4PM Cottontail rabbit hunting with my dogs Roxy and Zeta along with Dick and his dog Lacy
Where: Gilman, WI
Weather: sunny, 25°, calm, 1 inch of snow cover
Bagged: one cottontail and one grouse

It was my first trip of the year up to Gilman. We went first to one of my favorite spots, but it was a no go. Unfortunately it looked as if a group with dogs hunted it the day before. It was also here where Dick discovered he had forgotten his gun.
The rest of the day was much better than our start. I was able to bag a grouse with a very long shot from my trusty 410 shotgun. I also got one hare with a very neat headshot. The last chase of the day was a lengthy one. Since I had already bagged a grouse and hare I felt sorry for Dick and allowed him to use my gun. Dick was unable to bag this elusive hare even though it had come within feet of him. I guess that’s what age does to a person: it takes your mind and your sight!!!
One thing that I did notice today that was a little troublesome was all the wolf tracks on the road on the south end of the forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment