Tuesday, December 22, 2015

12-19-2015

Dec 19, 2015 11AM-3PM Cottontail rabbit hunting with my dogs Roxy and Zeta

Where: La Farge, WI

Weather: sunny, 28°, ½ inch of fresh snow cover

Bagged: two cottontail rabbits

It was my firs cottontail hunt of the year and Roxy’s first hunt this year period. We had gotten a dusting of snow last night, so my goal was to find a spot with some snow and rabbits. I figured since the north side of La Crosse was the northern most area of the fresh stuff, La Farge was my best bet.
Luckily when I got there the ground looked as if it had been sprinkled with powdered sugar. The conditions were good and so were the dogs. I was particularly impressed with Zeta’s perseverance and ability to figure out a lost track. She is no speed demon, but I don’t care she can sure follow a track! Roxy also did well today, but she is ten now and definitely slowing down. Unfortunately this may be her last year of hunting.
We had three really good runs that resulted in two cottontails. The third cottontail escaped by swimming a thirty-foot river that was both deep and fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment