Monday, February 15, 2016

Feb 14, 2016

Feb 14, 2016 Sun. 230PM-5PM, rabbit hunting with Zeta
Where: Blair, WI
Weather: SE17, overcast, 19°, 8” of crusty snow with 1” of fresh powder on top
Bagged: one cottontail

It was a short hunt with Zeta this afternoon. I opted to leave Roxy at home on account of the crusty snow and the damage it would do to her feet. Roxy is so much more susceptible to cuts on her feet than Zeta is.
We had a chase start almost immediately. It was a great run and it lasted about two hours. Zeta did a great job! You would have thought that I could have figured out one of the routes the bunny would take and ambush it, but I never did. I did see it a couple of times and even missed what would have been a great opportunity if I would have been ready and seen it sooner. The Rabbit I did end up shooting was actually a stray (a rabbit that was not chased by the dogs but was kicked up or moved by them). I do not shoot strays, but sometimes you just don’t know. It was a great afternoon hunt with great conditions and great dog work.

No comments:

Post a Comment