Tuesday, March 15, 2016

March 12, 2016 Sun.

March 12, 2016 Sun. 9AM-230PM, snowshoe hare hunting with Zeta and Roxy and Nate and his dogs Ruger and Annie
Where: Crivitz, WI
Weather: (1215) E15, mostly cloudy, 43°, trace of snow
Bagged: Me: 1 hare
Observations: The snow did not completely disappear yesterday, but it did get extensively reduced.

Today we started out in a small spruce and tamarack swamp. We had several runs started but the dogs could not sustain anything. I am not sure what they reason was but it did seem a little icy right away this morning.
Around mid morning we moved to some higher ground that we had ran at the end of the day yesterday. The area was composed mostly of a clear cut that was probably around six years old. Nate kept Ruger in the box at this spot and also for the rest of the day.
We had one great run here, with the dogs just screaming on the hare. After a rather long and successful run the hare fell to dose of lead from my 410 shot gun. I had seen the white bunny three different times before I was close enough to make the shot.
We tried a couple other spots before the long trek home. Unfortunately no more hares were raised. It is with both sadness and relief that this is my last hunt of the year. I am always worried running hares, because where there are hares there are wolves. I am very thankful that we had no run in with those big critters and my wonderful dogs are safe and at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment