Thursday, August 11, 2011

8-7-11 Sun



8-7-2011 Sun
7:30 AM –11:30 AM / 6:30 PM – 11:15 PM

H2O: 8.78 rising, 75.3 kcfs, 76 ˚, backwaters are clear, main channel is dirty
Weather: N8, overcast, 74˚, 29.80 rising
Location: Mississippi R. (Trempealeau area and Main Channel areas for flat heads)
Caught: 23 lmb between 10 -16” with most between 14 and 16”, 3 pike around 20-22”, and one huge dog fish / 3 flatheads 20, 18 and 8 pounds of which I caught the 20 pounder and Tupper caught the others
Partners: none AM / Tupper PM

Comments

I was back on the home waters and I was excited. Every year I am disappointed with the fishing on the Chippewa Flowage, so I am always very excited to get back to the river. And today I was not disappointed!
Basically I was fishing for bass and pike and I was targeting one of my favorite areas. I have not been up towards Trempealeau yet this year so I did not know what to expect. The fishing was good. I got into quite a number of nice large mouths in the Hammond Chute area.
The strategy I used today was I would fish with a spinner bait and catch a fish or two, then I would follow up with a Senko. I am still amazed at how well that Senko works rigged wacky style.
The dog fish I caught was huge. It was actually fun to catch. I was retrieving my spinner bait and a huge wake came out of nowhere and attacked. I got a good hook set on what I thought was a great pike, but it was not. I had one heck of a time handling that fish and getting it un-hooked. As it was it did make off with my trailer hook!
Flat head fishing with Tupper was amazingly good. We caught all the fish in the first spot, which had a lot of current. In fact we were on the edge of a large scout hole and our baits were actually being dragged upstream.

Observations

It’s great to be back to the home waters even if the level is unreasonably high for this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment