Sunday, August 23, 2015

8-22-15 Sat

8-22-15 Sat, Myself 630PM – 12AM
Mississippi R. pool 7, 5.6 →, 37 kfs, 73°, clear// 75°, S15 G23, overcast
Caught: Bait (bluegills, crappies and rock bass), Flat heads (4) 10,12,15 & 21

It was a terribly windy night for fishing, but I had the urge to go and that was that. Even with the strong gusty winds, you can usually find some area on the river that is somewhat sheltered from strong winds no matter what direction they may blow from.
The bait catching went relatively easy, but of course it was not as easy with the wind howling. The first spot I fished was an area just off the main channel, which was secluded from the south winds. I was fishing in twenty plus feet of water and managed to catch three out of this spot. After about and hour and a half there I moved downstream about one hundred yards and came up empty handed.
On my way in a stopped at another deep-water spot that was quite a ways off the main channel. The water was not quite as deep here, but it still held on fish. This fish came off some wood structure close to shore. That fish must have been just waiting for a morsel, because about as soon as my gill hit the bottom it was crushed. I had several other bites from that same spot, but failed to connect with any of the fish. I really think they were channel cats that were hitting and then running sideways with the bait.
The rice is probably at its peak stage of pollination and it is everywhere. The last couple of days there had been a tremendous amount of very small mouth type bugs. These moths area very light colored, almost white and about one half inch long. I have been watching this survival show lately; show I decided to try one. I sure would hate to have to survive on them, mainly because they are so hard to catch. The taste was actually pretty good. For such a small thing it had great lasting flavor with an almost nut taste. It actually gave me a craving to want more!








No comments:

Post a Comment