Saturday, July 4, 2015

7-2-15 Thursday

7-2-15 Thur. 3PM – 930PM, myself, 75°, calm, clear
Mississippi R. just north of Winona (pool 5?), 75°, calm, clear, clear
Caught: 8 LMB, 3 SMB, and 4 pike
I headed up to one of my favorite top water action pools on the river today. The fishing was not fantastic, but it was pretty good. I did not have a ton of action but the sizes of the fish were very good.
One little side note: The president was in La Crosse today for a vast and he was speaking at UWL from about 130Pm to 230PM. Well about 3 or 330PM the presidential helicopter flew over me, which was pretty cool. I have no idea if he was in it but I did give it a big wave. I guess I was hopeful he was in it and was admiring the beauty of the River valley, and would see how important it is to protect the Mississippi River watershed.
The Large mouth were in the slop, but they were quite spotty. There was also a fair number of pike around. I missed several nice pike with one appearing to be the giant size of around 40”. The pike are very hard to hook on a plastic frog.
I tried for the small mouth on the rocks on the lower end of the pool and was met with very limited success. I just have not been able to find any numbers of small mouths this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment